Why is Black History Month Important to our History as Humans?
The thing that concerns us the most about history is when we can relate to it when a part of it fits our sentiment. And many events have happened in history, but not all resonate with us. When history connects with us, we tend to create a particular date in commemoration of the events that happened that day.
There are so many events that touch us, that resonate with our beliefs, our religion, and our Origin. And one of them is Black History Month. Despite being an event most celebrated in the USA and Canada, it is something every black man should be concerned about. And most countries, even though not officially recognizing it, celebrate it.
It’s a month-long observation created by Carter G. Woodson in February of 1926. It began as Black History Week in most cities. And it was formulated as a response to the poor representation of black leaders in the past.
Black History Month is being celebrated for lots of reasons;
- One which includes the recognition and teaching of young Black Americans about Black men’s contribution to the history of America. It’s not just to America, but the whole world. Lots of black men and women with great achievements like Martin Luther King Jr, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, John Lewis, etc.
- To educate the whole world on the accomplishments of black people.
- To have a discussion that goes beyond the walls of racism and oppression.
- To give black youths the hope that lies ahead. Black youths need to come together in unity. They need to steep in something that goes beyond country boundaries or state boundaries.
- To bring every black youth together to fight against systemic racism and oppression.
Black History Month is necessary because it’s not all about the past. Shaping history is not all about the past. It’s about the now which will later become a past.
Also, Black History Month is not just about the story of blacks (before and after the slave trade). It should be about the history of how blacks have contributed to humanity as a whole since its inception.